Corporate Governance - Corporate Responsibility
We are committed to mitigating the impact our products and operations have on the environment. As an operator of metals service centers, our day-to-day business consists of the sale, distribution and processing of a broad variety of metal products sourced from numerous primary metal producers. Our operations, by their nature, do not emit significant amounts of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gases or have a significant impact on the environment.
As part of our commitment to environmental sustainability, we:
- purchase significant volumes of metal produced in electric arc furnaces that consume recycled material;
- sell scrap material generated in our operations to recyclers;
- use propane fuel to operate forklifts and have installed natural and energy efficient lighting in many of our operations; and
- utilize energy efficient diesel tractors that consume less fuel and reduce emissions for the majority of our trucking fleet.
Reliance is committed to investing in and enriching the communities in which we live and work. We support a variety of organizations and community programs including:
- Veterans support — We are supporters of a non-profit organization that provides veterans and transitioning services members with advanced manufacturing training and industry-recognized certification for careers in welding, machining, and fabrication at no cost to them. Since 2013, Reliance has partnered with this organization through financial sponsorship, donations of metals for their training courses, and hiring this organization’s graduates. For the past four years, we have also participated in a national program focused on supporting enlisted members of the Armed Forces and their families.
- Reliance Cares — In 2017, we launched an employee relief fund to support our workforce of approximately 14,900 individuals across 40 states and 13 countries outside of the U.S. (“Reliance Cares”). Reliance Cares is available to any of our employees impacted by a natural disaster. In the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, in August and September 2017, we provided financial assistance to 135 employees through our Immediate Response Program. We further funded 27 grants to help our employees’ rebuilding efforts.
- Local Community Organizations — Reliance encourages our subsidiaries and divisions to engage in and initiate events serving their communities and their employees. To commend our companies for their civic contributions, Reliance matches the fundraising efforts of our subsidiaries and divisions and supports volunteer efforts by our employees.